Special tests: Determination of the physical properties of solvents, solvent mixtures, emulsions and suspensions
Most databases on the physical properties of solvents contain only little information, and as a rule this only covers selected products such as acetone, methanol, etc. Plant operators using mixtures of solvents, or less known solvents, simply do not have the information necessary to conduct the process in a safe way.
The benefit to you
All tests for safety-relevant physical properties are accredited to ISO/IEC 17025.
- Determination of flash-point, fire-point and auto-ignition temperature (and minimum ignition energy up to 1 mJ)
- Determination of the lower and upper explosion limits, explosion points
- Determination of the maximum explosion pressure and the maximum rate of pressure increase
- Determination of the limiting oxygen concentration
- Determination of conductivity
- Determination of the vapor pressure curve
Special tests: Tests For Highly Toxic or Highly Active Substances
Many standard methods for safety tests of chemicals involve open handling of substance. For highly toxic or highly active substances, new test methods and equipment are therefore necessary.
TÜV SÜD Process Safety has developed such test methods and has validated them against acknowledged standards.
During the test using test methods the substances are completely enclosed. The transfer of the sample into the test equipment or sample tubes is done under laminar flow conditions in special laboratory work stations. After the test, the substance is either burned directly inside the equipment, washed out in place or the sample tube is sent for incineration without opening.
Traditional impact sensitivity set-up
Closed impact sensitivity set-up
The following tests are available:
- Decomposition Test DSC (Standard conditions or under inert gas)
- Screening for Self-Ignition (DSC under 5bar O2; equivalent to the test according Grewer)
- Decomposition test with simultaneous recording of pressure in an autoclave
- Analytical characterization of decomposition gas
- Screening for Dust Explosivity (equivalent to test in Hartmanntube)
- Test for flammability of raised dust with a 10mJ spark
- Sensitivity on Impact (Falling Hammer 80cm, 5kg)
- Powder resistivity / conductivity
- Charge relaxation time